Coffee Factory - Ethiopian Rocko Mountain Reserve
Sorry, this product is not available
If you would like to find out more, please contact us
Getting product details...
Yirgacheffe is both a town and grade of coffee in Ethiopia. The town itself is located in the Gedeo zone in the Southern Nations and Nationalities Peoples Regional State (SNNPRS) in Southern Ethiopia.
Processing in Yirgacheffe can take the form of both washed and natural, with most of the coffee growing at over 2000 metres above sea level. Much of the coffee grown in Ethiopia is done so using traditional methods, under shade trees alongside other crops and without the use of chemicals. Coffee from Yirgacheffe is often referred to as ‘garden coffee’ as it is grown on very small plots, often in the back yard of small dwellings.
The coffee is made up of smallholders based around the Rocko Mountain in the Haricha Woreda, Yirgacheffe. These smallholder farmers have hand-picked their cherries and sold them to a local trader who oversees the processing and sorting before selling the beans to the ECX who grade the beans according to SCAA standards. Addis Exporter then purchase the top quality lots from the ECX and select the best for their ‘Rocko Mountain Reserve’.
Girls Gotta Run FoundationThis is a non-profit organisation that empowers girls in Ethiopia through running and education. The UN Population Fund identified that early marriage is the most prevalent factor in cutting short the education of girls across all regions in Ethiopia.
Although the government has outlawed marriage before the age of 18, 24% of girls are still taken out of school and married by the age of just 15. While most girls supported by GGRF do not become professional athletes, some do and the training given allows the girls to stay in school and avoid early marriage and pregnancy. In turn, this can enhance their personal economic opportunities and gives them a safe space to develop their sense of community, leaving them better equipped to face the challenges posed to them during their most vulnerable years.
GGRF provides ‘Athletic Scholarships’ for girls entering secondary school, these include the following:
- Full scholarship to attend secondary school including healthcare for the student and her mother, daily meals, uniform, books, writing materials, tutoring, access to school clubs and library, showers and space to wash clothes on a weekend
- Completion of the GGRF/CCL Life Skills Curriculum, developed to create safe spaces for girls and provide experiential learning modules on family planning, financial literacy, HIV/AIDS awareness, nutrition, healthy relationships, leadership and creative expression
- Running clothes, shoes and healthy snacks for the year
- Entrance and transportation to Ethiopian races throughout the year
- Oversight of a coach and academic mentor
Altitude: 1950-2150 masl
Farm/Coop: Smallholders from around the Rocko Mountain
Great for: Aeropress, Espresso, Filter, Milky-Frothy, With milk
Harvest: November – February
Origin: Africa/Ethiopia - Haricha Woreda, Yirgacheffe, Gedeo Zone
Process Method: Natural (Dry)
Roasterr: Coffee Factory
Coffee Factory does not deliver to United Kingdom
|e.g. Espresso||18g||Vario 1E||25secs||30ml||A bit finer next time would be better.|